We help international students resolve complaints with New Zealand education providers.
    • Who we are

      We are a free and independent complaints service.

      If you are an international student and you have a complaint about a New Zealand education provider, we can help.

    • What we do

      We help with:

      • Financial complaints – involve money, for example refunds
      • Contractual complaints – involve agreements, for example contracts to study.
      • Redress claims - involve requests for money or actions to set things right after an NZQA investigation finds that there has been a breach of the Pastoral Code.
    • How do I start?

    • Is there a cost?

      Our service is free for international students and education providers.

      iStudent Complaints is funded by the Ministry of Education so there is no cost for using the service.